[ILUG-BOM] RMS in Mumbai

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Aug 14 22:52:53 IST 2006

> If you are even remotely
> interested in GNU/Linux, you _should_ know about GNU, the GNU Project
> and rms! I don't say that you need to know that the `m' in `rms' is
> Matthew, but you should at least have heard about Richard Stallman.

True. But it is not so easy. Everyday I come across people who know
about Linux, but not about GNU; people who know about Open Source but
not about Free Software; people who know about Linus Torvalds and not
about RMS. It is a very sorry state of affairs, but thats a reality.
This is in no way helped by the constant debates on why one should
call it GNU/Linux instead of Linux or the other way around.

My observation is that most of these people are simple-minded ignorant
characters who need someone to 'drill' the facts into their head.

This very person who does not know who RMS is or what GNU is might
already know Linus Torvalds.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?"

                                     -Jean Kerr