[ILUG-BOM] GID?UID problem

Suraj Jacob suraj@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Mar 22 14:37:02 IST 2005

Hi friends,

I also had a similar problem, but mine is when I wrote a plugin for
proftp to execute any command on a remote machine...Proftp is running as
root, and sets the ownership and privileges of the user requesting the
execution. However, when it runs a shell script (or anything that forks
a terminal, the program run under it gets executed as root.

the temporary workaround I found for it is to su into user to a
terminal, and run the command...something like:

su <user.group> -c "<command>"

but again, it is not a good solution, it forks 2 terminals instead of 1.
Is there a better way to set the ownership of the user on a shell script
when executed by a user?

Thanks in advance

Suraj

--

Randomness conceives creativity...Brainstorm yourself!!!

http://www.rhythm.com/~suraj