[ILUG-BOM] Kernel Version and Driver installations

Anand Iyer akiyer@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jan 14 20:13:03 IST 2002

I was tying to install Linux on a real time system (via an external
CD-ROM drive with DOS device driver only. So copy files to Hard disk
using DOS and then install using the boot diskette.
Linux 7.0 official RH pack was loaded.
When we loaded the systems device drivers used for real time data
acquisition using, we found tat the modules did not get installed due to
incorrect kernel version.
We had 2.2.16-22 and 2.2.12-18 was required.
We got another version of driver for 2.4.2,
I loaded the kernel from PCQ (july-Aug 2001) but the PCQ kernel was
2.4.2-2 and even this did not work.
The message that I got was that the driver required kernel 2.4.2 while
we had 2.4.2-2 installed.

Why is this so?
When drivers are made for one kernel version then why should it not work
with a higher kernel version.

Anand