[ILUG-BOM] Linux and Telex Support

jtdyahoo jtdesouza@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Aug 24 13:35:06 IST 2001

On Thursday 23 August 2001 14:16, Noel wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Does linux have support for telex machines/telex data. I have an
> old 8088 based telex machine (diskless) which receives input from
> the serial port (9 pin) which i would like to do away with and
> connect the telex line to my linux box. Any pointers in this
> regard will be appreciated.

You cant do that. The Telex line interface uses 90 v as carrier.
The machine switches current through the circuit, which closes
relays at the exchange which switches more current ubtil it reaches
the destination where it will close solenoids whcich will cause
printouts.
U need an interface card. Optoisolation is essential as the spikes
can get nasty.

jtdesouza at yahoo.com