[ILUG-BOM] Apache server.

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Aug 23 23:22:03 IST 2001

Sometime Today, acharya at dacafe.com assembled some asciibets to say:

> 1)I have configured the apache sereve. But when I access the site.
> It gives me an error 403/.Forbidden. Where can I set the permission.
> Note all the dirroot and the related folders have nobody as user and
> group. Rights 711. what should i do to set it right.

change the permission to 755.
make sure that you have Indexes on for the <Directory> that you are
trying to look at.  Make sure permissions on any index.html/whatever
else your directory index is set to is 644.  There may be more you have
to look at, but I can't think of it right now.

> 2)Can I access html files without using apache. means from any other
> ports.

Remotely, try telnet, ssh, rlogin/rsh, ftp.  If you can log in to the
machine, chances are you have permissions to read public_html files.

if you're local, then use lynx, netscape, mozilla, opera, w3m, links,
emacs, vi, cat, ed, etc.  Netscape may require a file:/// before the
path to the file.

Philip

--
Trespassers will be shot.  Survivors will be prosecuted.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis