[ILUG-BOM] my take on todays seminar < Ur view is right - But

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jul 22 15:23:36 IST 2001

Sometime Today, Tushar Burman assembled some asciibets to say:

> I said that, but I derive that from within the confines of the GPL.
> If the GPL said all that it does, plus allowed one to sell
> binary-only copies, it would be pretty stupid, since no one would
> bother paying, right?

Why?  You could sell your source - at no extra charge.  For example, I
could decide that my package costs Rs.3000/- with or without the source.

If you want only the source, you pay Rs.3000/-
If you want only the binary, you pay Rs.3000/-
If you want both, you still pay only Rs.3000/-

If you have any one, you are entitled to get the other free of cost.

I still make Rs.3000/- for every copy that I sell, regardless of whether
I sell source or binary or both.

The GPL allows this through the `no extra charge' clause.

Philip

--
Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis