[ILUG-BOM] Swap full

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jul 22 15:15:54 IST 2001

Sometime on Jul 21, Rajen Parekh assembled some asciibets to say:

> any problems even when there is/was excessive use of swap. So, I am
> not sure if it really matters if swap should be 2x the RAM amount.
> Rather I would think that the lesser the RAM the more the swap. In
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No.  That will cause thrashing.  The system will think it has more
memory than it actually does.  Too many processes will get loaded, and
then they'll start swapping uncontrollably.

Philip

--
Understanding is always the understanding of a smaller problem
in relation to a bigger problem.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis