[ILUG-BOM] Re: Ur view is right - But not entirely right and other OT

jtdyahoo jtdesouza@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jul 19 16:59:02 IST 2001

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 19:57, Tushar Burman wrote:
> [...]

You have the wrong business model. You are trying to sell a product
to as many people as possible while simultaneously trying to
prevent them from using it as they deem fit (which includes
copying).
One can assemble a motorbike with spares from the market - duly
modified to kickass. There is a niche market for this. But if it
does not kickass (or i prevent others from further customising) no
body will buy it. Those who do not need the high performance will
buy a standard model from abc & co. Why? cause it is cheaper than
the one i assemble using spares - not because of fancy laws. All
arguments regarding costs / economics put up by the software cos
are a lot of hot air. In fact the automobile industry faces a whole
lot of laws protecting the consumer and spends far more on their
products. This is the exact opposite of the software industry.
The same goes for any industry. You can buy a pc from an assembler
or IBM. Would a law preventing people from buying any machine other
than IBM be justified.
A business built on artificially erected barriers designed to
protect the minority is doomed to failure.
As expertise grows in society premium goods aquire a commodity
characteristics. Businesses then need customers to uniquely
identify their products from those of competitors - BRANDING and
the accompanying marketing baggage. Laws that prevent growth of and
disbursement of knowledge within society so that only a few may
benefit has no place in any society.

> Not too many people would be willing to
> make those sacrifices and even if they are willing, might not be
> in a position to do so.

One need not be a hermit. But one need not be unprincipled either.
Make your own value system and live by that.

Duplicating currency is another interesting industry having
properties similiar to software and monopolised by the government.
A responsible government does not need to print (create) and
publish currency (software) as it can meet it's needs by
judiciously utilising resources that enables users to create value.
(called economic growth) Governments less responsible will tax
(charge) arbitarily & print and publish when ever they need money,
effectively diluting the worth of it's users. Govts do this under
the guise of providing you great new services (.net) amongst other
lofty ideals. In India and other countries with less responsible
govt. we would be justified in duplicating money (in an attempt  to
reflect it's actual worth) but prevented by law which protects the
government monopoly. So how do you protect the value of your money?
By converting into a more stable and valuable currency say $
(GNU-Linux). But this is illegal. Why? as the people migrate to $
the Rs. will become more worthless and the $ more valuable. Who
looses? The irresponsible government ofcourse. So govt. builds
legal barriers and use the FERA (copyright) to nail the smart ones
and call them smugglers, antinationals etc (viral, antiamerican
etc.) and spreads FUD to con the ignorant. If the money is
worthless nobody will use it, even the government. The government
will now borrow $ (free BSD?) and sell it to you in Rs at a fat
premium. At the same time they prevent you from borrowing
(preventing OEMs from loading another OS) or converting (using your
doc and xls files). The end result crashes, instability, suffering.
Why? because of laws preventing freeflow of (intellectual) capital
and equal rights.

The GPL tries to prevent the above state of affairs by allowing you
the option of walking in the direction you please. You can migrate
to any software. You can preserve the value of your work without
paying fat premiums. You have access to the same resources as the
fatcats. It prevents the fatcats from putting up barriers for
others.

jtdesouza at yahoo.com