[ILUG-BOM] please explain Open source & free software

Manish Jethani cruisecoder@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 19:55:06 IST 2001

 --- Harshal Patil <harshal1234 at sify.com> wrote:

>       could anybody explain me what differences the
> open source & the
> free software movements have?

Were you sleeping during RMS's lecture?  I believe you
were there!

The Open Source Movement is more practical.  They
don't do much to push the idea of freedom.  They are
more interested in getting done with the jobs at hand.

Open Source includes more than just the GNU GPL way of
licencing.  It includes the BSD licence, for example.
You can get a list of supported licences from their
Web site.

Manish