[ILUG-BOM] Problems with Kernel 2.4

Paresh Chodpekar pareshchop@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 18 14:09:03 IST 2001

I am using Suse Linux 7.1, it has two precompiled kernels ie 2.2.18 & 2.4.
During the installation I had installed both the kernels. Now I am able to
boot correctly using the 2.2.18 kernel. However when i try to boot using the
2.4 kernel i always have some kind of problems.
The problem usually arises at the last stage. The system boots correctly and
the graphical login is displayed. But after login the system either sys it
cannot setup IPC or the xserver crashes & i am returned to the login. The
login works correctly in X (so i suppose there is no problen with the
xserver).
Please do provide a simple answer to my problem. I am still a bigenner with
linux.

( I guess there is some probelm in the precompiled kernel. Can i use the
2.4.6 kernel proveided in he last PCQ cd ?)

Thanx in advance
Paresh C