[ILUG-BOM] Licence for using Linux

Prakash Advani prakash@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jul 16 23:29:02 IST 2001

They charge for the support/manuals/etc. They can charge license fees if
they have two different versions of their software, one released under
GPL and the other released under some closed license.

Regards
Prakash

Vaibhav Arya wrote:

> More on licensing... Maybe our FreeOS friends will answer, maybe the other
> Linux retailers will...
>
> If I can duplicate a Linux CD (or install it on as many machines as I like)
> without restrictions, how do/can/dare  the Linux OS vendors charge for their
> software.
>
> * Red hat sells a version (I think 6.22 high availability) for $2000 that is
> steep. If I can duplicate Linux can I duplicate this one too? If so Can I
> (hypothetically of course) start a store that sells copies of this Red hat
> $2000 software for $1000?
>
> * Also Caldera (I think its them) just released a 'Single Machine License'
> that says you need to have one caldera license per machine. How can they do
> that?
>
> Anyone got answers?
>
> PS: If you say that some components are not GPl hence the price for the box,
> can I remove the non-GPL (or more importantly non-'Free') components, and
> then duplicate and sell a slightly crippled box, in my Hypothetical store?
>
> -Vaibhav

Prakash Advani  CEO      http://www.FreeOS.com
US Voice/Fax: +1 (781) 623-8454 ICQ: 26993347
India Tel: (91-22) 4988645/4953441 Fax: 4935133