[FSUG-Bangalore] [fosscomm] roadblocks to free society - kannada version

renuka prasad renukaprasadb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:03:15 IST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM, jaykumar hs <jaykumarhs at gmail.com> wrote:

> *On Kannada translations:*
> In any language, there are many synonyms for any word. But, while doing
> translations into any other language, important aspect that needs to be kept
> in mind are:
> Usage of words in Literary and Colloquial world in that particular language
> to which translation to be done. one should select a word which easily
> conveys the intended meaning.

this rule could be applied for kanglissh ( mix of kannada and english ) is
what i feel

> *Example 1:*
> India is an independent country i,e She has got independence.

ಇಲ್ಲಿ ಇಂಗ್ಲಿಷೀನ ಫ್ರೀಡಂ ಎನ್ನುವುದು ಇಂಡಿಪೆಂಡೆನ್ಸ್ ಪದಕ್ಕೆ ಸಮಾನಾರ್ಥಕ ಪದ.
> ಆದ್ದರಿಂದ ನಾವು  ಸ್ವಾತಂತ್ರ್ಯ ದಿನವನ್ನು 'Independence day' ಎಂದು ಕರೆಯುತ್ತೇವೆ. The
> word 'Independent' is originated from 'Independence'. It is a matter of
> understanding Noun, Verb and Adjective of a word.
> * *

this is the problem what i too see many times .. analysing in mother tounge
and writing in some other language makes to think so

> *Translation into kannada:*
> 1) Popular and good translation: ಭಾರತ ಒಂದು ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ ದೇಶ. (ಅಂದರೆ, ಭಾರತ
> ಸ್ವಾತಂತ್ರ್ಯ ಹೊಂದಿದೆ. )
> ಭಾರತವು ಸ್ವಾತಂತ್ರ್ಯವನ್ನು ಪಡೆದಿರುವುದರಿಂದಲೇ ಅದು 'ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ' ದೇಶ.
> ಸ್ವಾತಂತ್ರ್ಯ= ಸ್ವತಂತ್ರ
>

> ಈ ಪದಗಳ ತತ್ಸಮ ಮತ್ತು ತದ್ಭವ ನೋಡಿರಿ.
>  ೨)  Wrong Translation : ಭಾರತ ಒಂದು 'ಮುಕ್ತ' ದೇಶ. (ಅಂದರೆ, ಭಾರತ 'ಮುಕ್ತ' ವನ್ನು
> ಹೊಂದಿದೆ. )

this is your own interpretation, and ofcoure many others might be doing

> *Some more examples:*
> 1) 'Independent Karnataka' is translated as: swatantra karnataka (i,e
> Karnataka which has got freedom and hence independent))
> 2) 'Independent India' is translated as : swatantra Bharatha (ie, Bharath
> which has got freedom and hence independent)
> 3) We never call 'mukta bharatha' but we call 'swatantra bharatha'. Hence
> why do you call 'mukta tantraamsha'?
>
> The translation of the word 'Independence' (i,e freedom) into kannada as
> 'swatantra' is so much penetrated into the minds of the people and kannada
> literary world that 'Swatantra' (Freedom) doesnot give any ambiguity.

please give references

> Even when some one is a dedicated free software activist, he/she would
> stand on the wrong side of the history when they fail to understand where
> his/her contribution is actually heading towards.
>
> As a result of this, one should not forget the basic fact that Usage of
> 'Mukta' would surely mislead the common man in Karnataka.

i am still open to use the word "ಸತಂತ್ರ"  but not just that word ( may be
like "ಸತಂತ್ರ/ ಮುಕ್ತ" as i could not get a convincing answers , what is see
here is more of those answer from a translator who would mix up thoughts
which are coming from different languages . when we think in one language
and write in one language while taking meanigs from the previous references
this may not happen---

till i get a convincing answer i would continue to use "ಮುಕ್ತ" or "ಸತಂತ್ರ/
ಮುಕ್ತ"
rather than just  "ಸತಂತ್ರ"