[FSUG-Bangalore] [fosscomm] roadblocks to free society - kannada version

jaykumar hs jaykumarhs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:57:25 IST 2009

It is really a good work, though translation needs some correction.

But I beg to differ with one term.

In Kannada we should use the word "Swatantra tantraamsha" to mean "Free
Software". In the present translated work, another kannada word "Mukta" has
been used in place of "Swatantra". In Kannada, Mukta conveys two meanings
based on the context we use:
1) Open and 2) Freedom.

Hence usage of this word lands us into trap to mean both Open software and
Free Software. Open Source Industry surely seeks such ambiguity to further
the confusion among common folks of kannada language.

But the word "Swatantra" doesnot give scope for such ambiguity. "Swatantra"
symbolizes the freedom and have not come across any other such popular word
in kannada to mean "Freedom".

It is my humble request to use the word "Swatantra" for "Freedom" in
kannada.

regards
Jaykumar