[FSUG-Bangalore] Reg: Ubuntu latest version

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:38:19 IST 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Ramkumar R <artagnon at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Ubuntu (latest stable ver 9.0.4??)
> You have to make this choice. There is no "ideal" distibution. But
> yes, if you're going with Ubuntu, you might as well go with 9.04.
>
>> - Open Office (or staroffice)
> OpenOffice is a good office suite.
>
>> - Thunderbird 2.x (any other suggestions here)?
> For larger volumes of email, I recommend Evolution. It has a fantastic
> calendar/ contacts interface built-in as well.
>
>> - Joomla/Django for CMS (intranet)
> Hm? What exactly do you want? Joomla is a CMS. Django is not- it's a
> web framework written in Python.
>
>> - Alternate to Visio (flowchart)?
> I don't know. I'll let someone else answer this.
>
>> Does anyone have a DVD/CD containing all the latest version of the above (or
>> part of it) set of software?
> If you'd like to perform a large number of installations, you could
> remaster the Ubuntu CD/DVD to contain all this software + any other
> customizations you wish. All this software has dependencies, so
> shipping you .deb packages of just the software won't really suffice.

You might to start off with Ubuntu JeOS- which is a 100 MB Ubuntu OS
image with no X, but just the bare bone Ubuntu for you and with
apt-get. So, you can install all your reqd. applications and spin off
a ISO [1] from there and install them on all the nodes you want to.

1. Check out Remastersys tool:
http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/remastersystool.html

HTH,
Amit