[FSUG-Bangalore] which the the best FOSS movie editing and mixing software like pinnacle or neuando

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun at gnowledge.org
Sat Dec 12 11:18:22 IST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Jose David Cuartas Correa <
josedavidcuartas at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Renuka!
>
> My advice
>
> In my experience exploring different FLOSS tools like Cinelerra, Kino,
> Kdenlive, Open movie editor,  Openshot video editor, VideoCut... etc
>
> For video editing, I can tell you, that the best option is the PiTiVi video
> editor
>
> http://www.pitivi.org/
>
> I agree with the professor Nagarjuna, that Kdenlive is a good alternative,
> but in my experience using kdenlive i ever have some problems with it,
> because the sound support is not so good.
>
> But now with PiTiVi you don't have this problem, because is handled by the
> GStreamer multimedia framework. This means that if you have installed all
> the Gstreamer codecs, you can edit all kind of multimedia formats and files.
>
> For me, is a simple but powerful tool with a very good performance that
> also have a very simple, friendly and intuitive graphical interface.

I checked pitivi, I found it a very easy, light tool.  It is however in the
very beginnings of development, and doesn't have many features that kdenlive
offers.  No transition plugins, no way to normalize sound, add special
effects etc.  Keeping Renuka's requirements in mind kdenlive is currently
the best bet.

But, I do like the simplicity of pitivi.  If you have a couple of audio or
vidieo clips or video clips and want to cut or join and render it is ready
and recommended.  Thanks jose for pointing it out. I wish someone can write
a transcription plugin to it, it will be useful for me in transcribing
speeches/lectures into text.

GN