[FSUG-Bangalore] Cloud computing is a trap, warns GNU founder Richard Stallman

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:07:41 IST 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Web-based programs like Google's Gmail will force people to buy into
> locked, proprietary systems that will cost more and more over time,
> according to the free software campaigner"
> Read more here.

I can certainly agree what giving away one's data to a third party
agency for storage and protection is not always wise.

Just yesterday at work, I had a discussion (status check, actually)
with my senior colleague on how we're going to move away from Lotus
Notes and Domino, and move to Kolab for our email needs. We've got
started some weeks ago with understanding how Kolab works and are busy
fixing and testing issues with Kolab and various IMAP and non-IMAP
capable mail clients. Our top fixes are focussed on X.509 security
issues.

We have used Lotus Notes and Lotus Domino for years. Most of our users
have detested the Lotus Notes interface. The Lotus Domino sever is
extremely stable, scalable and managable, but we now feel the need to
have mail stored in a format that will not be tied by with any
specific company's closed technology. Also, we've had issues with
email client interoperability with Lotus Domino.

We've evaluated Kolab, Scalix, Zimbra, and Zarafa. The enterprise
grade features of all except Kolab costs thousands of dollars per year
for us - a trap that we don't want to fall into. Kolab is what we've
selected, and our patches and fixes will all go upstream. There's
nothing to showcase to anyone right now, because all progress is still
in terms of exploring, understanding and configuring.