[FSUG-Bangalore] GNU grazing on the 22nd November

Parthan SR parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 22:01:59 IST 2008

renuka prasad wrote:
> Where are the people who are associated with VTU?
>
> The above plan and below things looks very nice for a general protest
> against the tie ups mentioned above, but without a single concern for
> all those who are associated with VTU i think this will not be very
> effective w.r.t VTU-M$ tie-up.

I 1one hundred percent agree with Renuka in this one. Without including
people associated with VTU and as much colleges as possible under VTU
it's going to be nearly impossible to even make them hear us. If we want
our protest to be taken seriously by VTU, then we have to the people
associated with VTU and the colleges along with us.

> So my suggestion is to make first students / faculties /
> HOD/Pricipals/Management associated with VTU aware about the problems
> of having proprietary technologies in the curriculum , and awareness
> has to happen in each and every campus
>
> ( if we suggest the changes ----------------- who are the people who
> will train the trainers and who will give any support whenever
> required , these are the question i have already faced when i
> previously approached for using the alternate for TALLY -- we should
> be ready with answers - is what i meant.....
>
> First of all we should see that free software community
> representatives are invloved in syllabus framing commitee --- without
> that how will any one even look at the
> posssibilities......................who are the people whom they can
> involve  in the board of syllabus framing commitee....
> How can any one invlove a stranger in the commitee --------these are
> the challenges that we need to face ------------Thats why first we
> should take people associated with the university in to confidence and
> then proceed ...

We can also have NRCFOSS, as it's a project funded by Ministry of IT
itself to spread awareness especially amongst the academic circles and
generate human resources w.r.t FOSS so they can support a FOSS based
industry in India. Secondly, they have been very successful in dealing
with Anna University which is the parent univ for a majority of the
engineering colleges in TN. Both Vikram and I have very good contacts
with them and can talk to them to be on our side. Let me know if you
think this is a good idea.

--
---
With Regards,