[FSUG-Bangalore] C3 - Update for the week

Senthil Sundaram (sensunda) sensunda at cisco.com
Sun Mar 9 08:33:57 IST 2008

Hi All,

Things have kind of started. We have hired a teacher from the community
. A ITI computer student. She will teach 3 hours in the evening and then
on Sundays.

We are currently training the teacher, Kalapana and two other students
mani and prabhu who are very keen to learn. They in turn teach the
others.

See a detailed report below on whats happening an how you can help.

cheers
c3 team
http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/team
<http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/team>

Articles
---------------
Is a slum computer center really needed

http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Is+a+slum+tution+center+really+useful
<http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Is+a+slum+tution+center+really+useful

Sensex hit a new low today
http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Songs
<http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Songs>

TRAINING and QUALITY improvement
Will be the foucs for the coming 4 months. From the AID Chennai
experience it looks like it will take about 4-6 months to converge on
some minimum quality.

We intend to keep this program as a pilot. We want to see some distinct
differnce after the intervention.
If we are able to do the same then we can think of scaling after 4-5
months.

TIMINGS
----------
You can meet us in the center Mon , Wed, Fri : 6.30 to 9.00 p.m and
Sunday : 2.00 p.m-6.p.m. Other days there will be regular classes.

LANGAUGE NOT  A CONSTRAINT : Pulkit experience
Oh the other good thing is that Pulkit did his first class on friday .
He is basically from Gujrat and we ha d the fear that language might be
a  constraint. We gave it a shot. He tried with English and it seems to
work to a large extent.

Things needed:
----------------

HARDWARE REPAIR
------------------
1) We need some one with hardware repair skills to troubleshoot the 2
comps which have some issues. If you know a commercial computer hardware
engineer who can help thats also good.

COMPUTER  NEEDED
-----------------
2) After March the exams will be over. Then it might be  good to have
another comp and UPS. We have a promise for the UPS already. We need a
computer

BOOKS NEEDED
----------------
3) Good Computer Basics books : if some one who knows kannada can go to
some place like Swapna book store and get a set of good computer books.
Not hi fi ones but basic books. In tamil there is a book on how a
computer works and internet by Sujatha who just passed away. Such books
make a interesting read an are ver helpful to the students in quality
improvement. However any book is good. Especially ones which suggest a
lot of practical things for the student to try.

Also books in English are good.

Visit

http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Curriculum
<http://slumdweller.wikispaces.com/Curriculum>

for the topics on which you should buy books.

GNU LINUX Currciulum

You know that we use the skill set exercise model developed by AID
Chennai .

We would like to have the GNU/LINUX curriculum equivalent of the skill
set model. This is not very difficult and for a good GNU-LINUX person it
might take less than a day to develop.