[FSUG-Bangalore] Fwd: History of Free Software movement in India

OpenSpace use.info at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:36:59 IST 2008

Dear Anivar,

I am not too sure about the definition 'movement' but when I was
studying--1986-88--there was already 'opensystems' (which included not just
software but hardware and firmware too). Though the dominance of M$ was not
as pronounced, opinion had already turned against it and other proprietary
systems.

So I think it will be safe to assume the start of the 'movement' at least
sometime in the early 1980s, rather than a decade later. It was amorphous,
but it did exist. For a while it was part of the 'pirates' who wanted to
subvert the stranglehold of the proprietary makers. All this are important
parts of the FSM. Ironically, M$ was a strong advocate of the opensystems
approach in the initial stages, untill WINTEL came along.

I moved away from the technical part about 15 years ago, so I don't know the
details in between, but I am sure it was a vibrant one (just like its
earlier forms). There will be others who can fill in the gap.

Great effort!

best wishes,

Edwin