[FSUG-Bangalore] on the question of banner of work in blr/kar

Arun M arun at gnu.org.in
Mon Dec 1 14:46:58 IST 2008

Dear Senthil,

FSUG was created as a platform/banner to bring together free software
activists in Banglore. It is upto the local community to decide on whether
they want to convert it into a legal entity or not. Many users group around
India are not legal entity.

> We cant go to fsug for guidance as it is a mailing list only . FSUG is nice
> meeting point , but its not a organisation. Its not the only group working
> on things related to free software..in blr..I request fsf-i to consider this
> people with their own names as a possitive thing..rather than a divisive
> thing...let a thousand flowers of freedom bloom...

Sure I think I had written that in earlier mail also.

However we are working on a guideline for this. When it is one or two
group we can work with our understanding of their working. When it is
more organisations it is difficult to do recognise them with out proper
guidelines.

> For example slumdweller folks are not fsug , though some of us are in fsug
>  ..there are others from aidindia.org , ambedkar youth in the local area
> ..who are not of fsug..and also it has two aspects : free software +
> marginalised community empowerment...

Organisations like Aid are not setup for promoting free software. I am sure
these organisations should be willing to come under FSUG banner to
promote free software.

> When we want to do a program we call our selves 'volunteers for free
> software, karnatka ' [ with fsug and slumdweller banners and with due credit
> to others particpating ]. Does FSF-I consider this to be in the right
> spirit.  This is basically to ensure a neutral name...and not one
> overarching name .if u feel its not right ..please suggest your views on
> this..we will work under your guidance...

FSUG is a banner we have already created. Why do we need another banner ?
If you can put your argument for the new banner I think then we can respond
to that. At the moment I am not able to understand the need for a new banner.

> Should any free software  activity in karantaka happen in the name of FSUG.
> It is also very clear that fsug is not an organisation..

We would love to see more activity under FSUG banner because we initiated
it with that purpose in mind.

> What about other folks like Kannada bloggers , aidindia who want to work
> with us..when we do joint programmes..

Work with whom ?

> I see from the statement of fsf-i that anybody is free to form their own
> group and work for free software in bangalore, karnataka. FSF-I will guide
> them.

Sure, if they wants us to. Every one is free to organise on themselves.

Just a recap

1. FSUG is a banner to bring free software activists in
Banglore(slowly Karnataka)
together
2. Those who are working for it can think about making into into a legal entity.
3. Any number of organisations can come up to promote free software. However
dont duplicate the efforts as far as possible. Too many fragmentation
is not going
to help.
4. Endorsement of FSF India to the organisations will be based on
guideline which
created by FSF India Board.

I hope this clarifies.

Arun M