[FSUG-Bangalore] Heated Discussion on Gobuntu Developer List

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:35:46 IST 2008

All started with present and future of gobuntu
gNewSense Forum says

AFAIK Gobuntu developers are not so carefull about freedom in their
repositories and packages. I don't think that this attitude will change
with the new Ubuntu release and this is why we don't recommend Gobuntu.
If you would like to use a fully free as in freedom distribution, use
gNewSense and try to help us in any way you can.

Mark Shuttleworth's Opinion on Rethinking Gobuntu
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gobuntu-devel/2008-April/000674.html

Toni Ruottu writes
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gobuntu-devel/2008-April/000674.html

It is a interesting Discussion on Freedom in Distros..

And it is interesting to hear that current Ubuntu CD images now have a
"Free software only" checkbox on the "Boot options" menu (select
language and then press F6 twice). This should make things easier for
people who happen to have an Ubuntu CD to hand and want to install a
system without anything from the restricted component.

For a background Read Praveen's page too
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/User:Pravs/What_Ubuntu_should_do_to_regain_my_confidence