[FSUG-Bangalore] Prajña : Cognizant FLOSS Corps

Prem a.premkumar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Aug 12 00:12:59 IST 2007

Hi all,

I just joined the group. So let me introduce myself first :)

I am A. Prem Kumar, asst. mgr. with Cognizant at Bangalore. Been in
Cognizant for the past 7 years now. I have been involved with FLOSS since
1998, when I did my first Linux installation :) I maintain a blog on FLOSS
in Cognizant's internal blog to spread its awareness & have been successful
in getting many people interested in it. Some of my posts there have been
sanitised & put in my external blog. [1]

I have started a new group (so far unofficial) in Cognizant which endeavours
to help in the upliftment of the rural & urban poor of India by giving them
a digital edge achieved by implementing & teaching FLOSS based solutions in
academic institutions & self help communities.

We are Prajña : Cognizant FLOSS Corps. [2]

Prajna, as you all might know, stands for wisdom, intelligence which we try
to impart & also comes closest to the translation of Cognizant. I plan to
use swan as a mascot. Swan is closest to Hamsa, Saraswati's vahan &
represents wisdom & knowledge too :)

It is still in its infancy (only two days old) and not much has been setup,
except for securing the help of some people who have promised help in their
personal capacities. I am sending across a mind map on my plans for this
group & solicit your feedback & suggestions.

The idea for starting such a group got seeded in my mind while I was
researching for a blog post of mine called "Satyagrah for Swatantra Software
in India"[3]. The blog has also been posted in Cognizant's internal blogs
(ch1blogs, short for Channel One Blogs) where I maintain a blog called FLOSS
Bites. I was very much impressed & driven by the recent efforts of ilug-cal
to implement LTSP in rural schools & teaching the MLAs (I have mentioned it
in my post too).

My idea got watered further during my various discussions on these internal
blogs wrt Charity in Hinduism & Cognizant's Corporate Social Responsibility.

My driving force to start this group is my belief that the greatest charity
we can do in this day & age is to give somebody a job or teach a job, so
that they are self sufficient as well as strive to provide employment to
others too. And this self sufficiency is what will provide actual freedom to
all our poor. No wonder then that I choose only Swatantra software (FLOSS).

Also, I will not consider using proprietary solutions even if given away for
free. This might seem extremist but that's my belief. Teaching people
proprietary solutions for free is a sure fire way to get the people hooked
onto a solution which they will not be able to afford once they get
addicted. This is pretty much like getting people addicted to drugs for free
& then making them pay heavily.

You can also join in the conversations I am having in Orkut with the
youngsters from college. [4]

I would like to ask for whatever help you all can provide us, monetary or
with knowledge or with contacts or in any other way you think it will be
helpful for us. And finally, seeking all your blessings & well wishes too.

--
[1] http://scorpfromhell.blogspot.com/
[2]

  I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
  I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
  Prem Kumar Aparanji
  M: 00919845226618
  [Bangalore, KA, INDIA]

  http://scorpfromhell.blogspot.com