[FSUG-Bangalore] quote[OT]

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Oct 21 19:34:19 IST 2006

--- Vikram Vincent <vincentvikram at gmail.com> wrote:

> "And somewhere there are engineers
> Helping others fly faster than sound.
> But, where are the engineers
> Helping those who must live on the ground?"

I know not who wrote these lines,I would like to point
out that English language (like many other language)
has a positive and negative way of expression[1]. I
think this quote is good example of the later.

It is not a good thing to succumb to pessimism however
worse things are. Technology (science in general) has
always worked for the betterment of mankind. On a
recent visit to a hospital I cherished the fact that
the simple concept of sterile environment have saved
millions of lives including mine and yours.

Perhaps another example of Indian space programs would
be more apt, the light-weight composite materials
which are used as heat insulators or for structural
design of launch shuttles and missiles is now used to
make artificial limbs for children. They weigh few
kilograms lighter than the previous models.

Also as a common man it is possible to invent or
discover with 10 grade science text book knowledge.
Put your brains into it perhaps you can help those who
live on ground.

Cheers

--arky

[1] I don't remember quite well, but for example to
say 'The only thing that is achieved without hard work
is failure' is negative structure. The other way
conveying the same message is to say 'Hard work is
keystone to success".