[IHUG] Re: [fsug-bangalore] Hurd Hackers meet this weekend

प्रवीण् ए (Praveen A) pravi.a@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri May 12 20:34:04 IST 2006

12 May 2006 16:26:33 +0530, Isaac Praveen <isaac at deeproot.co.in>:

> Good idea. What time are we meeting tommorrow then ? Cubbon Park ?

Tomorrow  2.30 pm Cafe Coffee Day , Cunningham Road. (Cubbon park is risky
with the rains :-) )

Some more deatails of what we are gonna discuss. We will split each task to
small logical ones and start working on those as soon as possible.

,----

> |  Well these are the ideas I would like to work on
> |
> |  1. Filesystem as package manager
> |
> |  No need for a separate database and file format for packages.
> |
> |  /packages/meta - contains information about the available packages like
> |  dependencies /packages/binary - contains binary files from a package
> |  /packages/source - source code files
> |
> |  unionfs will give a merged view of these package files in the / like
> |  /bin /lib /var ...
> |
> |  so if you install a package from source like
> |
> |  ./configure --prefix=/packages/binary/emacs ; make; make install will
> |  have all the binary files in /packages/binary/emacs direcory and it
> |  will be immediately available to everyone and it is recognised by the
> |  packaging system wothout any other commands or configuration
> |
> |  to check whether you have emacs installed
> |
> |  ls /packages/binary/emacs is enough to update the metadata rsync can be
> |  used
> |
> |  More details has to be thought of and finalised.

Tasks:

a. Investigate on  Unionfs and find out how to show /packages/binary/*/lib
as /lib
b. Design a strategy to resolve dependencies

> |  2. Filesystem as email client.
> |
> |  Use fetchmail to get email from server and use mboxfs to extract the
> |  email info. Use any editor be it vi, emacs or gedit to read.
> |
> |  To write a mail we will use a write only file system. You just drag and
> |  drop to a folder and the mail is sent. We can have this icon in the
> |  panel (the traditional mail box makes sense here, you post it to the
> |  box and it is gone).

a. Read up RFC for IMAP and design an IMAP to mbox translator (check if one
exists already)
b. Same for SMTP (It is going to be trickier though)

> |  3. Flexible backends for /etc/passwd file.
> |
> |  Use mysql, pgsql, ldap ... for authentication and create a translator
> |  for /etc/passwd so than zero configuration is required for all other
> |  programmes.

a. Implement a simple single file filesystem.

> |  If you have an idea, we can discuss that as well

We can discuss each in detail tomorrow and  may be split up  to even smaller
tasks and lets each take up tasks that interests us.  if someone feels not
yet ready for  jumping right away into coding
we can think of some simple tasks which does not require hurd specific
knowledge

a. Documentation
b. A demo and presentaion (can have different levels from introduction to
deeper knowledge).
c. Maintain hurd.in wiki.
d. Be a manager to the team, many might wanna be a boss :-) The tasks
include getting people to meetup get them work on things. Motivate them ....
e. Be a Public Relations rep, how we can get more students to get on to
hurd...

I am excited... Lets start hacking right away.