[FSUG-Bangalore] Fedora not getting after install Debian

B S Srinidhi srinidhi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Aug 7 14:21:17 IST 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 11:32 +0530, Saju A P wrote:

<snip fstab & menu.lst>

> fstab entry on Fedora Core 5
>
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=SWAP-hda91        swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda1               /disk1                  vfat    defaults        0 0
>

> menu.list entry on Fedora Core 5
>
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,7)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5)
> 	root (hd0,7)
> 	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> 	initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.img
> title Windows
> 	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> 	chainloader +1

You need to edit the above entry and change the _kernel_ line to read
something like this:

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 ro root=/dev/hda8 rhgb
        quiet

Note: I've taken the device name (/dev/hda8) from the Debian's menu.lst.
I assume that the entry in Debian's menu.lst is correct and it works.

The problem is that when you installed FC, you assigned a LABEL, to your
'root' partition. But when GRUB found that there's already a partition
which has the same LABEL, '/', as your FC root, it complained. Once you
are in, do read the GRUB's manual to understand more about this problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Srinidhi.
--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )            B S Srinidhi
 - against HTML email  X             http://www.srinidhi-is.in