Bangalore meeting on F[L]OSS training

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Sep 9 12:56:32 IST 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Frederick Noronha (FN) <fred at bytesforall.org>
To: f
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:55:26 +0530
From: dinesh <dinesh at servelots.com>
To: it-society at servelots.com
Subject: Sept 10th 3PM IT/Society meeting on
FOSS training

Date: Saturday, 10th September, 2005
Time: 3 PM
Place: 3354 K R Road (near Tata Silk Farm)
           Directions:

http://pantoto.com/servlet/ViewPosting?urlid=webs&di_p=935&printable=true

It been an ongoing open pondering process on how developers
around Bangalore can be introduced to the free and open source
software work. Last week, a few of us started wondering what
could come out of a meeting to start discussing this process.
As many of you are deep into FOSS work either as individuals
or as organizations, we can start the discussion process by
coming together to put down issues and ideas towards this.
This Saturday (10th September 2005), at 3 PM, the agenda
is to consider a collective effort towards FOSS training.

These are some of points we have on mind:

-- sharing people's experiences engaging with FLOSS work (development
and adoption)

-- What is common and what is different in FLOSS development compared to
   Propreity software development? (Is the difference only in making
source open
    or are there any other differences)  -- maybe some of the answers are
    obvious to some people.
    -- does floss training offer better training than proprietary training?

-- are people in floss interested in training?
    -- what are the capacities?
    -- what are the "real projects"?
    -- who are the targets?

-- can a collective effort work in training work?

-- can we offer support to engineering colleges?
   -- and professionals?

-- who would be interested in offering?
   -- what is the curriculum?

-- why do we want to do this?
   -- IT impact on society?
   -- resource/strengthen our/floss work?

-- what are the alternative/progressive ideas?
   -- fool proof certification?
   -- "real projects" and representation on web?
   -- practicality and quality (why this certificate is better?)

We hope to follow up with a well-formed and task-based
meetings. All who are interested in this space are welcome.