Fwd: [Fsf-friends] REcipe for a Successful [GNU]Linux User Group

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Mar 12 15:28:58 IST 2005

Dear Friends,

Its hightime that we look at how we are gonna run this
group.Someone should take the little test on this
page.

Thanks FN ;o)

happy hacking ...
--arky
--- "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred at bytesforall.org>

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/Linux/User_Groups/

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/

> [...]
> 22. Don't go into any other business, either.
> 23. Walk the walk.
>
> LUG checklist.
>
> The following checklist may be useful for your
> group, once established.
>
> 1. Web page:
>
> a. Meetings:
> [ ] Current meeting info? Is it prominent?
> [ ] Day of the week? Beginning time? Ending time?
> [ ] Double-checked day/date matches against a
> calendar?
> (E.g., is the "Friday, March 28" you listed an
> error, because the 28th is a
> Thursday?)
> [ ] Location?
> [ ] Map?
> [ ] Directions (car, public transit)? Parking tips?
> [ ] Information on the next several meetings?
> [ ] RSVP mailto link on meetings where this is
> needed?
> [ ] Note that meetings are free and open to the
> public (if they are)?
> [ ] If there's a special fee, is it disclosed next
> to the event listing?
> [ ] If location / time / date formula has changed
> recently, is this noted
> prominently?
> [ ] Have you checked for event conflicts with other
> nearby groups, or with
> holidays?
>
> b. General:
> [ ] Includes event date-formulas (e.g., 4th
> Tuesdays)? Prominently?
> [ ] Maintainer mailto link?
> [ ] Last-revised date?
>
> c. Periodically (maybe every quarter):
> [ ] Checked all links on your site for dead links?
> [ ] Checked your Web server's logs for pages
> requested but not found? (You'll
> want to put a referral page at that URL.)
> [ ] Read all your Web content attentively for
> outdated content?
>
> 2. Other, periodical:
> [ ] Reviewed/updated all LUG lists that have entries
> concerning your group?
> [ ] Reviewed all sites that link to yours? Advised
> their webmasters of needed
> corrections?
>
> Last revised: 2003-08-04
>
> Having seen (and run) quite a few Linux user groups
> (LUGs), and observed some
> thrive and others die, I can hazard some firm
> recommendations. If you're
> thinking of starting a LUG, or are running one now,
> please ponder these
> lessons, drawn from other LUGs' experience. In fact,
> please consider reviewing
> this list from time to time, as a kind of checklist.

> d88888b d8b   db   Frederick Noronha * Freelance
> Journalist * Goa India
> 88'     888o  88   f r e d @ b y t e s f o r a l l .
> o r g
> 88ooo   88V8o 88   http://www.bytesforall.org *
> http://fn.swiki.net
> 88~~~   88 V8o88   Phone 0091.832.2409490 Mobile
> 09822 122436
> 88      88  V888   784 Nr Lourdes Convent, Sonarbhat
> Saligao Goa 403511
> YP      VP   V8P   Writing ... with a difference, on

\_|       Rakesh 'arky' Ambati       |
  |        Bangalore (INDIA)         |
  | Homepage: http://arky.port5.com/ |