[fsug-bangalore] Ubuntu Sources.list

Abhas Abhinav abhas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Jun 12 17:44:19 IST 2005

Hi Rakesh...

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 08:02 +0530, Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati wrote:
> Well, since last night am (remotely) helping out my friend who has
> Ubuntu Hoary installed.
>
> Now I understand that ubuntu has its own packages repositories and
> stuff.So as am new to Ubuntu, does Ubuntu provide me all the packages of
> say from debian or testing automatically.
>
> Or should I have get a mix and match of ubuntu, debian testing or
> unstable packages with pining.

I use Debian Unstable, Debian Experimental, Ubuntu Hoary and a couple of
other special APT sources in my sourcs.list. This is what I use for
Ubuntu:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary main restricted universe multiverse

I believe Ubuntu provided pretty much the same stuff as Debian though
sometimes its quicker than Debian to update its stuff. Eg.
OpenOffice.org Version 2 has been in Ubuntu for quite some time. Also
Ubuntu has a more relaxed policy w.r.t. the sort of packages that can go
into its repository - as compared to DFSG.

Hope this helps,
Abhas.
--
Abhas Abhinav <abhas at deeproot.co.in>