Herald D'sa on reusing old Computers in Schools

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 30 20:25:39 IST 2005

Evening FSUG Friends,

Herald D'sa of Free Schools project posted this message on other
mailing-list today.Hope you find it interesting.

FYI
~~
Hello all

The LTSP model will work nicely if there are new thin clients or loads
of junk old hardware free of cost.

Running LTSP lab with a few old clients will be very painful
experience. In the US old hardware like even 500 MHZ based computers
and old monitors are available in junkyard . I have used one old
monitor which was kept for disposing with new computer in 1999 when I
worked in Virginia. 233Mhz brand new computer cost $500 at that time
(no monitor).

Even the computer usage in USA is also huge like more than 16 crores
machines. Every year there will be loads of hardware being discarded in
the dustbin . USA is  dumping old hardware in countries like China. But
the transportation cost and customs duty etc make these type of
hardware not so cheap.

The case in India is different. Even Pentium 100mhz with old color
monitor will cost around Rs.4000/-

The owners of these computers feel they should get at least Rs.10,000/-
since they paid Rs.35,000/ for the same when it was new.

In 2003 I installed 4 thin clients and one server in one school in
Mandya district in Karnataka. But because of the clients problems and
no support people there, all the clients have been converted to Windows
machines (Windows support people available).Only the server is running
Linux now.

Similar case is with Nishulka school. Unless we have loads of free old
hardware, it is very difficult to manage.

In the USA many schools are running LTSP on old hardware because they
have loads of them available free of cost in case any part fails.

Another alternative is to go for low cost entry level clients like AMD
sempron machines.

Here is a new thinclient computer launched in US with embedded redhat
linux on flash , costs below $149 without monitor (Approx Rs.6000).
This is the cheapest ever thin client.

http://www.ntavo.com/ntaterminal.php

For an overview of different countries  have a look at CIA world fact
book

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/

Compare USA and India on various fronts

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html