[fsug-bangalore] FSUG Ideas & Brainstorms

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jan 8 14:11:35 IST 2005

--- Suraj <suraj at symonds.net> wrote:

> Zabil Cheriya Maliackal wrote:
> ,----
> | I  think  a cyber  cafe  would  only want  a
> browser  and an  instant
> | messaging client. Also people do come with usb
> sticks to download data
> | and that seems to be supported out of the box by
> Ubuntu.
> |
> | This road trip  I am planning to do maybe this
> weekend and the coming
> | weeks.
> |
> | I would love to have suggestions and the
> difficulties I will be likely
> | facing.
> `----
>
> Here are something that the 'browsing center' dudes
> might want:
>
> 1. Does it have an audio/video player in the Live
> CD?
>
> 2. Can it open Word documents?
>
> 3. How do I 'save'? Where is 'A:' and 'C:'?
>
> 4. How can I configure my network and share files
> across machines?

Its really good job you intend to do Zabil, of course
a humble deed is better than the noblest of the
thoughts.

 Introducing GNU/Linux has always been difficult task,
having a live distro great help.Most of my friends who
use Winblows or Sun Sparc's in office use knoppix to
get the feel of the GNU/Linux OS.

Secondly, remember there __is__ free software apart
from GNU/Linux, a cyber center fellow will certainly
jump to using firefox easily than GNU/Linux OS .Now,
browsing the net need not mean firing up IE.Carry
along a latest version of firefox or other free
software too.

They are developers working on Sun OS using a whole
lot of GNU packages, same can be said 'bout Winblow
with GNU tools CD.

 If there is anyone willing to spend a weekend evening
talking about Free Software or Stuff,we can surely
find a school to host one.

Any takers !!!!

Cheers

--arky