[fsug-bangalore] Understanding The Free Software Philosophy

Raj Shekhar rajlist@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Aug 2 01:53:19 IST 2005

Rakesh 'Arky' Ambati wrote:
> After all, how do you motivate youngsters to go in for free software,
> when proprietary software tempts the best brains with mega-bucks?
> Nagarjuna reiterates, "If you choose to do it, it's for freedom, not
> because
> of economic reasons. The point I keep talking about is that we keep
> working
> and struggling to maintain freedom, even if it is expensive.Freedom is
> more valuable than just the `total cost of
> ownership'thatopensourcefollowers
> talk about. Our arguments, unlike those of the open source promoters,
> are not based on economics alone. Not even just technology. It's ethics
> and politics (of technology) that we are concerned about. Ours is a
> cultural movement."

Most people assume that using and promoting free software means giving
up on economic gains.  However it is not so.  If you are a contributor
to any Free Software, most employers count that as a positive sign.  (On
a side note: I have yet to see any good and *unemployed* free software
hacker).  The essay "The Virtual Referral: Mitigating Risk by Hiring
Open Source Developers"
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/07/14/osdevelopers.html makes a
strong case why employers should look at free software hackers as good
bets when hiring.

I have never been an employer or run my own company, but from what I see
Free Software provides another model for doing business.  Most
shrinkwrap software developers make money by licensing software.
However, with free software you sell services - training, customization,
audit etc..  You can sell free software too - it makes perfect sense to
sell something which is cheaper, faster and better :-) .

The point I am trying to make is, Free software can be used to make
economic gain.

--
Raj Shekhar		           Y!IM : lunatech3007
blog : http://rajshekhar.net/blog  home : http://rajshekhar.net