[Fsf-kerala] Typing Malayalam

Eric John Eric.John@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 31 21:06:33 IST 2007

> Quillpad is supposed to respond to English words with output that's
> phonetically similar to the English pronunciations

Works well I suppose, I hope to see google's code using the indic fonts soon
(provided they put it up on their code/gadget repo). But I'm curious about
any custom language processing algorithms (maybe some STL?) or APIs for
"miglish" translation? Or any other language as a matter of fact? Obviously
quillpad and google seems to use the same algo for malayalam words but a
different parsing system for actual english words.

> The obvious fact being google seems to mess up quillpad(കുഇല്ല്പദ് ) and
> > quillpad seems to mess up google(ഗൂക്ലേ)
> >
> Ah, I see a 'k' in the transliteration of Google ... does that say
> "GooKle?"

Clarification: "google" at transliteration is ഗൂഗിള്  and google at quillpad
is ഗൂക്ലേ. Please derive your own conclusions.

Post script um: Why should we type manglish and encrypt into junk and then
> decrypt into manglish and then understand it as malayalam?

It's always good to see innovations in language processing and translations.
For a start, it helps people who speak malayalam but are unable to write
using the correct libhi(or anything?!?).

Cheers,
Eric