[Fsf-india] Re: RMS talk in Bangalore (fwd)

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
07 Mar 2002 11:32:16 +0530

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:00:53 -0800, Devang Patel wrote:

> One or more resignation won't guarantee that it will never happen
> again.  It is better to amend whatever FSF India Board
> policy/procedure is regarding the sharing information on this
> mailing list.

I am in agreement with Devang and am of the opinion that asking for
and bringing about resignations from a not-yet-formal body is not the
right approach. We must instead strive to ensure openness and
transparency. I have been told privately that each of the board
members are individually excellent people and there is no reason to
doubt that. The lack of transparency in their collective functioning
can probably be put down to teething problems. And hopefully all our
criticisms and attacks stemming from this latest incident will have a
salutary effect. It would be really nice to see some kind of a joint
statement from the board to this list explaining their transparency
policy -- now is a better time than ever.

Let us not forget that the board members were nominated by RMS. Let's
have some respect for his judgment.

Let us also not forget the extremely important tasks and the long road
ahead of us. Derailing the movement now in its infancy may prove
suicidal.

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala

"Just being able to express your thoughts won't suffice if you lose
your head the next day!" -- anon