[Fsf-india] Re: RMS talk in Bangalore (fwd)

Raju Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:00:24 +0530 (IST)

    KLAK> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:00:53 -0800, Devang Patel wrote:
    >> One or more resignation won't guarantee that it will never
    >> happen again.  It is better to amend whatever FSF India Board
    >> policy/procedure is regarding the sharing information on this
    >> mailing list.

    KLAK> I am in agreement with Devang and am of the opinion that
    KLAK> asking for and bringing about resignations from a
    KLAK> not-yet-formal body is not the right approach. We must
    KLAK> instead strive to ensure openness and transparency. I have
    KLAK> been told privately that each of the board members are
    KLAK> individually excellent people and there is no reason to
    KLAK> doubt that. The lack of transparency in their collective
    KLAK> functioning can probably be put down to teething
    KLAK> problems. And hopefully all our criticisms and attacks
    KLAK> stemming from this latest incident will have a salutary
    KLAK> effect. It would be really nice to see some kind of a joint
    KLAK> statement from the board to this list explaining their
    KLAK> transparency policy -- now is a better time than ever.

I tend to agree with Khuzaima in that we shouldn't be quick to
condemn.  However, the board should also consider it its bounden duty
(wow, what an archaic vocabulary I have!) to strive to be more open
and transparent in future, and immediately release information about
its constitution, plans, meetings, members, events etc.  I'd love to
see this information coming out over the course of the next 7
days... is that a reasonable request?

    KLAK> Let us not forget that the board members were nominated by
    KLAK> RMS. Let's have some respect for his judgment.

Sure, though that doesn't cut that much ice with me -- RMS is a great
coder and a great thinker, but that doesn't automatically make him a
great judge of human character.  He may be, for all I know -- I'm just
saying that I'd rather reserve my own judgement.  Must be some flaw in
my character, I guess ;-)

    KLAK> Let us also not forget the extremely important tasks and the
    KLAK> long road ahead of us. Derailing the movement now in its
    KLAK> infancy may prove suicidal.

Regards,

-- Raju
--