[Fsf-india] 'rm' command

Abhas Abhinav abhas@deeproot.co.in
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 00:56:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Gopal.V wrote:

>--|>          is there any command to recover a removed file on linux
>--|> system. If anybody knows please mail me....
>--|	Try Midnight commander's (`mc`) undelete option. Take mc, press F9
>--|and cycle menus (cursor keys) until you reach the Command menu. It has
>--|an Undelete option.
>--|
>--|	It shows the latest "deleted" INODE numbers.If it is a text file
>--|you lost, you can change the MC's right pane into quickview (C-x q).
>--|And scroll thru the INODES , hopefully you'll spot your file.

Needless to say that this only works on ext2 (and maybe ext3 - don't
know for sure) - it will definitely not work on on ReiserFS -
something a lot of distributions ship with nowadays...

cheers,
abhas.

Abhas Abhinav		   | Free Software at its product-ive best.
CEO, DeepRoot Linux
http://www.deeproot.co.in           ---- Server Appliances ----
Ph: +91 (80) 856 5624          ---- Linux Support and Services ----