[Fsf-india] Re: Free Software Magazine { COMMERCIAL }

Hong Feng fred@mail.rons.net.cn
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 00:05:22 +0800 (CST)

   The pdf files use type3 fonts which makes them huge in file size and
   unreadable, though it will print perfectly. xpdf doesn't render it
   properly, it is almost blank in my system.

Try to use GV instead of xdvi, gv could render pdf file well.

   The solution would be to use the right switches of dvips while
   generating the postscript from TeX dvi for convertion to pdf with
   ghostscript.

    dvips -P cms <filename.dvi> -o

   will generate postscript with type1 CMR fonts instead of rasterizing
   the fonts as that happened now.

   File size can still be reduced further, if equivalent ghostscript
   free fonts for Times are used so that pdf files need not have the
   CMR fonts embedded.

   The alternate solution is to use pdfTeX to write pdf's directly
   instead of the dvi==>ps==>pdf route. pdfTeX will correctly use the
   type1 versions of CMR fonts.

thanks for your tips.

   By the way, do you have the sources of articles (TeX or TEI SGML/
   XML) publicly available?

they are stored in my database now, I have no time to upload them
to the site. But the html files are on the web site now.

Hong Feng
Publisher, Free Software Magazine
fred@mail.rons.net.cn   hongfeng@gnu.org
http://www.rons.net.cn/hongfeng.html