[Fsf-india] Re: Free Software Magazine { COMMERCIAL }

Radhakrishnan CV cvr@river-valley.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:32:50 +0530 (IST)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 at 16:48, Hong Feng wrote:

   As we have no confirmed orders from India before we went to
   printer, so we did not count a large number for India, and we
   could not offer too much paper copies for India for the first
   issue.

   However, the pdf file of the first issue is freely
   downloadable from our web site, here are the links:

   1. as a compressed tarball:

   http://www.rons.net.cn/english/FSM/ISSUE01/issue01pdf.tar.bz2
   (it is large in size, so it might take some time to download)

The pdf files use type3 fonts which makes them huge in file size and
unreadable, though it will print perfectly. xpdf doesn't render it
properly, it is almost blank in my system.

The solution would be to use the right switches of dvips while
generating the postscript from TeX dvi for convertion to pdf with
ghostscript.

 dvips -P cms <filename.dvi> -o

will generate postscript with type1 CMR fonts instead of rasterizing
the fonts as that happened now.

File size can still be reduced further, if equivalent ghostscript
free fonts for Times are used so that pdf files need not have the
CMR fonts embedded.

The alternate solution is to use pdfTeX to write pdf's directly
instead of the dvi==>ps==>pdf route. pdfTeX will correctly use the
type1 versions of CMR fonts.

By the way, do you have the sources of articles (TeX or TEI SGML/
XML) publicly available?

--
Radhakrishnan