[Fsf-india] Re: Fsf-india digest, Vol 1 #33 - 1 msg

Gopal.V gopalv82@yahoo.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:06:14 +0530

Hi Praveen,
>  From quite a long time i was thinking about gcc for windows. It's not
>  because of the platform or unavailability of the software that we (FSF)
>  exist. We stand for the principle.
	If you are talking about FSF, that is an organization to promote
FreeSoftware. And you're right.
>  We are people who fight against the bad things in the software world.
	Our weapons are the various peices of FreeSoftware like Bash2,gcc,emacs
which will show the world that being free is better. Look at Apple, they
realized how valuable FS is and tried to make bash2 the cmd-line for OS-X.
(and when I say tried, I mean tried).

>  Is this the right way to do things? We are here not to make people aware
>  about a software (here gcc eventhough it's a marvellous software). so
>  according to my opinion we should stop making things like this. But I
>  appreciate the programer who did an excellent software like this.

	But the GNU project has been started to *REPLACE* a proprietary
platform (viz Unix and its variants). The GNU project *IS* about writing
software to replace unix utilities and provide evn better ones. So IMHO
the right way to GNU is to show people the free-alternatives they have.
But kindly remember to concentrate more on the freedom rather than the
reliability/stability of FreeSoftware.

> > I had got an ARM Evaluator board for 7T Core.  Now I
> > need to write a C program and compile it and run it on
> > that board.  From Web I came to know it is possible to
> > use GNU Compiler on Windows for ARM Processor
> > (Cross!).  Please let me know how to go ahead.

	You're in the wrong place for these questions. This is mostly
a FreeSoftware politics arena. We really aren't that much into tech.
(especially embedded). You're much better off searching on google than
hoping for a reply here.(really sorry I couldn't help)

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success