[Fsf-india] Re: Fsf-india digest, Vol 1 #33 - 1 msg

Pappu pappu10@mailandnews.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:01:53 +0530

On , 17 January 2002 15:34:48 -0000, p.s.k \(praveen s khan\)   wrote:

 > so  according to  my  opinion  we should  stop  making things  like
 > this.
Developing cross compilers that  can generate code for other platforms
is a  very essential task and should  not be stopped (and  there is no
reason to do so).  The fact that gcc runs on a  non free platform is a
direct result of  its portability. So where do  you suggest, should we
stop?

 > > I had got an ARM Evaluator board for 7T Core.  Now I
 > > need to write a C program and compile it and run it on
 > > that board.  From Web I came to know it is possible to
 > > use GNU Compiler on Windows for ARM Processor
 > > (Cross!).  Please let me know how to go ahead.
If gcc can do this while running on a non free platform, it can do the
same  thing  from  a free  platform  too.  I  have never  tried  cross
compiling for  ARM, but I guess  building the cross  compiler won't be
that  difficult.  Some thing  similar  to  the  following sequence  of
commands should accomplish your goal.
  From within the $(TOPSRCDIR)/build directory for gcc, run
  # ../configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=$INSTALLDIR \
					--enable-languages=c
  # make ; make install
You may also need to build at least the binutils package.

HTH,
pappu.