[Fsf-india] Four more questions...

Pappu gnuhead@vsnl.net
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:33:42 +0530

On Saturday, 13 April 2002 10:13:11 +0530, Ranjit Babu wrote:
 >   My opinion is that we should be fighting for the 'people' and not
 >   for the 'tailors'.
Developers are not  bad guys. They are also as nice  as users and need
protection.
 >   The vast majority of free  software developers are looking at the
 >   right to modify code
A developer can write his code, even if that involved re-inventing the
wheel.  It is  the remaining  99% users  who benefit  if the  right to
modify code exists.  I may write a  program if I badly need  it, but I
may  not go to  the trouble  of writing  one to  suit your  needs, and
of no use  to me. Even if you  pay me, it would be easier  for me (and
the economics  would work out nicer,  since you don't have  to pay for
the entire development of a program) if I were to modify some existing
code than start from scratch.

The  bottom line is -  right to  modify code  is equally  beneficial to
 users than developers.
bye,
pappu.