[Fsf-india] Four more questions...

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in
12 Apr 2002 15:47:47 +0530

It seems that this list is losing focus. Instead of finding better
ways to educate people about Software Freedom, we are coming up with
excuses for not doing so.

What is our goal? To propagate Free Software at any cost to get some
short term gratification in numbers? Or to lay a strong foundation of
Software Freedom to ensure the long term success of Free Software?

These two goals are conflicting and definitely *not* complementary as
some would like us to believe. The first smacks of compromise. And
compromises are dangerous, suicidal, for idealistic movements. You
make one and you are tempted to make another, and another, till you
reach the point where the original ideals of the movement get
completely fudged and unrecognizable.

And no, Free Software does not claim to have all the
answers. Especially to twisted questions loaded with suspect
economics.

It's time we collectively set an agenda for this list. It's time the
FSF Board takes some initiative in this matter to ensure that free
software advocates are not made to enter into frequent skirmishes just
to put across the most basic and fundamental issues of Software
Freedom. Our resources should be used for sharpening our advocacy, not
diluting it.

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala