[FSF-India] debian newbie

Suraj Kumar S. fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:26:33 +0530

try configuring with "xf86config". Do a "ps" and check if xfs is running,
otherwise do "/etc/init.d/xfs restart".

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:48:09AM -0400, kamesh jayachandran wrote:
> Hai all,
> I am new to debian GNU/linux.I installed it in my friend's machine.
> I have some
> problem in configuring X.
> The error I get is
> "_X11TransSocketUNIX connect can't connect:errno=111
> X connection to :0.0 broken

Check for you network card brand and load the particular module with "modprobe"
Most of the cards are "ne2k-pci" compatable.
so, just do

  /sbin/modprobe ne2k-pci

This should detect your card and load the required modules.

now configure network with "ifconfig".

To make the network configurations permenent, make suitable changes in
"/etc/network/interfaces" file.

My "/etc/network/interfaces" file look something like this.

---------/etc/network/interfaces-------
# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# ethernet interface
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.32
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255

> What are the utilities in debian used to configure the network card?
> with regards
> kamesh jayachandran

-SKS