[FSF India] Re: WB Govt ties up with MSFT

Rajkumar S. fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:31:32 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Raghavendra Bhat wrote:

> Yours is a naive stand which is not going to do us any good. Can
> you ever think of winning the battle without the *freedom* shield,
> forget about winning the war ?

I was just referring to some statements by pappu which I quoted, not
against the freedom. Sorry if my mail caused confusion.

> This fundamentalist position has a chance to do us more good in
> the long run and is going to win us the war.....

The stance of FSF is not fundamentalist, it is ethical. but if we take
any ethical stance too far it becomes fundamentalist and that has to
be checked.

> Maybe you should also chip in and get the letter out fast. We have
> to get our act together

I have mailed one letter which has touched some of the points which
were missing from Raju's letter like the open standards, meaning of
Free, Perils of a Monopoly etc. I will add more.

> We shall not lend our signatures to a document/petition which
> includes the word 'Open Source'.

> The FSF should do things individualistic-ally;

I do not know if such a position is good for us. May be it is.....

raj