[FSF India] GNU/Linux in Schools from a guy in school

Pappu fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:32:58 +0530

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 02:30:11PM +0530, Varun Sinha wrote:

> But the truth is my principal isn't all that concerned about free software;
> he is much more interested in setting up a full-fledged computer system at a
> fraction of the cost it would cost him to do so using proprietary software
> (we don't have one right now).
A school is a place where people are supposed to learn some thing. What is
the use of having all the non free software in the world in a school, when
you are not even free to find out how it works (you are a pirate if you try).
Ofcource, the school can boast of a >>full-fledged computer system<<, but
students are not going to benefit. So I feel that your principal is wrong.
FREEDOM is the main (and only reason for a private school atleast) to switch
to free software.

> Besides the fact that the software itself is
> a lot more cost-effective, the hardware costs would also be greatly reduced.
True, but suppose someone donates a whole lab to the school, but with non
free software. It is going to be of very little use to students.

> The only downside I can think of is training and support. People who know
> about proprietary software are dime-a-dozen
You mean people who know to click a mouse button and cause a drop down menu
to drop down. Such knowlege is not worth teaching in a school.

> The point about using GUI for most tasks seems to make sense. It would be
> alot easier for people, especially teachers (students might be able to) to
> work with GUI.
I feel that the choice of interface should be left to the user.

> My entire opinion is based mainly with my school in mind, maybe the
> situation is different in other places.
A school is not more important at the students who expect to learn something
from the school. It may be good to be patriotic about a school but not at
the cost of its students.

bye,
pappu.