[FSF India] Re: [FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

Khuzaima A. Lakdawala fsf-india@gnu.org.in
05 Aug 2001 09:31:55 +0530

R Sai Kiran <ch98086@che.iitm.ac.in> writes:

> 	Well, I have a slightly different point of view here. I claim
> that, you first get the people to start using the GNU/Linux systems, and
> very soon, the whole *philosophy* behind the movement becomes clear to
> them.

It won't work. This is like suggesting that people who use Microsoft,
or any other proprietary software for that matter, automatically, and
"very soon," understand the whole philosophy behind *those* companies,
which is profit-at-any-cost, to-hell-with-the-users'-rights, die-hard
capitalism.

You can't just start people off with GNU/Linux and *hope* that
somehow, *magically*, the philosophy of Free Software will dawn on them
just by using GNU/Linux. This is clearly putting the proverbial cart
before the horse.

I've noticed in this thread the emphasis on spreading GNU/Linux, the
operating system, in schools without any mention about spreading the
*concept* of Free Software. Somebody seems to be forgetting that
GNU/Linux is NOT the goal, the end-all and be-all of Free Software. At
best, it can be shown as a good example of Free Software while
advocating the philosophy.

>       The GNU + GPL is a rather new thing.

Don't let RMS hear you saying this; he's been at it for more than 15
years now.

> 	Please note, all I'm saying is we really need people to start
> using GNU/Linux first. When I first started off with Linux, I had no idea
> of the philosophy, just knew that it was free (in the free beer sense of
> "free"). Over a short period of time after that, I came to know the
> background stuff, the philosopy. And now, I'm pretty much in love with
> it. It's the same with most people, I guess.

It's definitely NOT the same with most people! You were just an
exception, that's all. You came to "know the background stuff, the
philosophy" probably because you made an *attempt* to know it, or
somebody else made an attempt advocating it. You did not dream about
it, surely.

> > > Yes...the main purpose is to spread the philosophy. But,
> > > we should'nt directly attack from the philosophy point.
> > Why >>attack<< in the first place? If people don't understand the
> > word freedom, we can ask them to read their 10th std history text
> > books. I once again stress that the mission is not to convert all
> > windows users to GNU/Linux users. The mission is to tell people
> > about FREE software and help them to start using FREE software.
>
> 	I totally accept. But, converting the Windows users to GNU/Linus
> users is the first step in making them use FREE software.

Oh no, this approach to spreading Free Software is not only flawed
but downright suicidal! You are falling into the same trap that the
"Open Source" folks did -- "just tempt the users with the "practical"
merits of our software and they will automatically switch to our
camp!" This is downright bizarre!

Dear Sai, you seem to be a man in a hurry, probably because you are
young and full of life. Please take a break, sit back, and try to
take a more holistic view of Free Software. Try to look at the bigger
picture. I repeat, GNU/Linux is not the raison d'etre of Free Software
-- the Movement, the Philosophy, is much, much bigger than one
operating system.

I envy your enthusiasm and energy -- makes me wish I was 20 years
younger -- but please don't waste it simply running around installing
GNU/Linux boxes in schools. Instead, go around explaining the
philosophy. Give lectures, play recordings of RMS's speeches. The
acceptance and installation of GNU/Linux, or any other Free Operating
System for that matter, will follow as the logical and automatic next
step. Create the conditions so that the schools *ask* for Free
Operating Systems instead of proprietary ones. Just taking GNU/Linux to
them and saying "Here, this is a nice free operating system; we assure
you that it is good for you and is better than the competition; we
hope you will *soon* understand the philosophy behind it!" simply won't
do! The Free Software Movement is not in the Marketing business. We
are in the Advocacy business, lest we forget. Trying to compete with
the proprietary software *Establishment* on *their* terms and using
*their* methods is, as I said earlier, downright suicidal.

--
Khuzaima A. Lakdawala