[FSF India] WB Govt ties up with MSFT

R Sai Kiran fsf-india@gnu.org.in
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 02:09:14 +0530 (IST)

Hi People,

	Seriously, this is crazy!! Who's taking all these decisions. I see
far too many problems:

1) Proprietary software, is in a sense, against the principles of
democracy. Just consider using free software for administrative
purposes. The people have access to the code the govt uses and know
exactly how things related are functioning. For example, software used in
elections etc. I actually read this article sometime back about a country
deciding to focus on using Free Software for all administrative
purposes. Can't trace the URL now :-(.

2) The article says that West Bengal plans to setup a state-wide computer
network connecting the secretariat and the district headquarters. This is
serious business. I mean, your key word would be SECURITY. In such a case,
why would anyone ever want to use Windows. Microsoft itself
"tried" Windows sometime back on its Hotmail servers when it was
hacked (I'm not entirely sure of the part of being hacked, but they
definitely dropped the plans of using Windows very soon). It's now gone
back to FreeBSD + Apache. Just consider, one intruder on the network could
mean sooooo much trouble. We are talking about *SENSITIVE* data here.

> 1)Investment Promises which never come, tell them to learn from the
> mistake of others.
> 2)You have to help yourself there will be nobody else helping you.
> 3)How,Why and where Free Software can help achieve there objectives.
> 4)Who is making $$ in this SLACK phase??

	You're sooo right... somebody has to talk with the guys about this
stuff. And soon, the deal is going to be signed on 16th!! Are we having
any plan yet??

	Who're the ones taking all the decisions out there. For some
time, I thought it might be Bihar :-)

Regards,

Sai

Recursion n: