[FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

Ajith Kumar fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 09:22:50 +0530

--------------9E04AF44A64EE27E38C1B13B

Satyakam Goswami wrote:

> hi,
>     i am working on a draft proposal for use of GNU/Linux in Schools anybody
> intrested in these kind of projects or if they are already working on something
> like this i  would be glad to learn about it.

This is a very important step. Probably the first thing to be done is to provide
help for installing GNU/Linux in schools having computers already. Present
status at many places is, they just have MSWindows running and the
"Educational Software" is MS-Office. But without an easy to use word processor,
many won't switch over.  I use 'abiword' and find it very good.
Another aspect is the kind of machines owned by achools. Many may have
Pentium-I  machines still running.  RedHat 7.1 or any latest distributions are
not going to run on it comfortably. They can run as good X-terminals. One
good place to look for is the Linux Terminal Server Project homepage.
www.ltsp.org.  A networked system is anyway a must in schools to have
teacher-student interaction.

ajith

--------------9E04AF44A64EE27E38C1B13B