[FSF-India] GNU/Linux in Schools

Mohit Agarwal fsf-india@mail.gnu.org.in
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:19:30 +0530 (IST)

Today at 09:22 +0530, Ajith Kumar wrote:

: Present status at many places is, they just have MSWindows running and
: the "Educational Software" is MS-Office. But without an easy to use
: word processor, many won't switch over.  I use 'abiword' and find it
: very good. Another aspect is the kind of machines owned by achools.

I looked at `abiword' for the first time today.  It seems to resemble the
M$ windoughs `word' perfectly!  Have you ever heard of something called
TeX or LaTeX?  A program called `lyx' -- distributed under the GNU GPL --
is aimed aimed specifically for those who haven't heard of LaTeX, or are
afraid to learn it.  It's provides a WYSYWYG interface to LaTeX, and is
indeed very simple, and much less frustrating than the windoughs `word'.

mohit