[Fsf-friends] hardware vendor interested in supporting FOSS

Krishnakant Mane krmane at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:21:23 IST 2010

On Thursday 01 April 2010 12:39 PM, Nagarjuna G wrote:
> http://www.connoiseur.com/
>
> This hardware vendor has netbooks with touchscreen, small firm factor
> desktops etc.  they are willing to also support preinstalled and
> branded cenrtified foss desktops.  If we can help him produce a 100%
> free distribution, they are willing to market laptops and desktops
> preinstalled.  some of their hardware requires firmware, but they are
> willing to replace if we can suggest some alternatives

Nagarjun,
Apart from the firmware, there is another thing we can suggest them.
I have worked with a few local hardware venders and the major reason
they liked to give GNU/Linux as the  choice for OS was that they liked
the concept of apton cd.
We had created an apton for Ubuntu with all the major softwares such as
inkscape, audacity, scribus, Thunderbird and many more.  It was found by
the venders pritty easy because it acted like a utility cd which the
users  can just put into their cdrom drives and synaptic package manager
opens automatically.
As a result they could provide support to many users.
If typicle addon packages can be created like this, then it will be very
easy to provide a complete FOSS based solution.

Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.