No subject

Tue Mar 24 21:03:10 IST 2009

<quote>

@Kaiz: I assume you have been reading too many Tom Clancy novels. I am
eager to learn if a single terror incident in India has used
'unsecured' WiFi networks to plan and execute a blast. So far, to the
best of my knowledge, such networks have been used only to send
self-congratulatory emails, after the event. The rest is highly
suspect media hype, fanned by persons who are very likely to have a
vested interest in selling 'security' systems, and some policemen who
are very eager to face TV news cameras.

Also, you apparently find it difficult to understand the notification.
Nobody is interested in users having passwords to log into private
networks, the notification asks for all users to be centrally
registered with the ISP. This is a backdoor method to empower ISPs to
begin identifying subscribers on the basis of numbers of users per
subscription ID, and the logical next step will be differential rates.
I am rather more interested in a regulatory framework that will govern
the leaking of such personal information to third parties (at the
moment, there is none, so...).

Such registrations will in no way help security agencies to identify
malafide users of home networks, which (ie IEEE 802.11x compliant) are
inherently not designed for high-security environments. Have you
registered, or been asked to register, all your family members and
guests who use the home (cordless) telephone? Would it serve any
useful purpose? QED.

</quote=3DSeykun>

> --
> Nagarjuna G.
> http://www.gnowledge.org/

I am surprised that there hasn't been any response to this on the list.

--=20
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  =E0=A4=B6=E0=A4=BF=E0=A4=B0=E0=A5=80=E0=A4=B7 =
=E0=A4=85=E0=A4=97=E0=A5=8D=E0=A4=B0=E0=A4=B5=E0=A4=BE=E0=A4=B2
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17